Web UX/UI Designer
DC Thomson is looking for a Web UX/UI Designer to play a leading role in the team driving our evolution from a traditional print-focused publisher to an audience-first, digital media company.
About DC Thomson
DC Thomson is currently undertaking the largest Transformation programme in our history. In order to strengthen our position in the Media/Publishing industry we have identified, alongside our customer community requirements, the need to offer a digital portfolio to complement our traditional business model.
We are drawing together specialisms from across our businesses and creating centres of excellence to provide the continued best value to our customers both externally and internally, through new and exciting digital products and channels.
The UX/UI designer is responsible for leading development on some of our most important brands and properties across our crafts, business, education, food and health portfolio to deliver experiences our customers will love.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced designer to join our expanding digital team. The position is suitable for an individual that is passionate about web and graphic design, so knowledge of responsive design with great typography skills is a must. You’ll communicate directly with customers as part of a product trio (Engineering, Design and Product) to deliver value both our customers and our business.
A strong design portfolio is a must, with creativity and innovation clear to see throughout. Apart from that, we are ideally looking for enthusiasm to push boundaries within design.
The work is varied, and as such, we are looking for someone that is flexible and enjoys new challenges as no two days are ever the same.
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Designing new websites and experiences
- Creating user story maps and customer journey flows
- Interviewing customers to and developing an expert knowledge in their problem spaces
- Designing artwork for our various social media channels. One of which recently surpassed 100k subscribers meaning we’ve got our hands on a Silver Creator Award from YouTube
- Producing designs which are pixel-perfect for our in-house developers to bring to life
- Creating digital campaigns for industry-leading brands such as LEGO, SKY, Amazon, Mattel, Comic Relief, Nestle and P&G to name a few
- Producing artwork for social media
- Provide assistance and design direction to the digital team
- Revamping existing sites whilst maintaining core brand values and identity
- Creating new engaging email templates and designs that break the mould
- Maintain a portfolio of over 36 websites and other digital products
- Staying up to date with digital design trends
Current software used: Figma and Adobe Creative Cloud, but we’re flexible and open to new ideas.
If you’re a talented individual with a strong creative flair for web design, then you could be the perfect fit for us.
What we are looking for:
- Happy: Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other
- Helpful: Always looking for ways that you can help others
- Curious: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily and life has a way of constantly raising the bar
- Passionate: You get enormous satisfaction from a job well done, plus you’ll be working within design applications every day
- Detail-orientated: Only pixel-perfect will do
- Reliable: You always deliver and can be counted on
- Open-minded: Designs are precious, but being open to feedback on your creations is essential
Importantly we pride ourselves on being people first. This role has exposure to many different parts of the business, making progression easy…we work on developing careers based on what people enjoy.
It’s not all about work though…
As a team, we regularly attend events, shows and social evenings. Past outings including comedy nights, Scaresville, bowling, curry nights, Star Wars showings, go-karting, evening drinks, Christmas cinema and hiking.
Additionally, we took part in the 3 Peaks Challenge to raise money for Charity: Water and helped fund a freshwater well for a community of 200 people in Ethiopia.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter outlining exactly why we should hire you.
This is a full- time, permanent position, with occasional travel to our Colchester office. We offer a generous package including: healthcare cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, birthday day off after completion of your first year, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.