Findmypast is looking for a UX Engineer who wants to make a difference to join our growing Dundee team. We want passionate people who use the right technology for solving problems and like to deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users at all times. Above all, your work will impact the way people research social and family history.
What you’ll do
- You’ll ensure the design system reflects the current understanding of the brand and that new designs adhere to established patterns.
- You’ll build the technical implementation (React components) of design system patterns to a high level of polish in usability, performance and flexibility.
- You’ll work with feature delivery engineering teams to teach and evangelize the design system and collect feedback.
- You’ll suggest and implement changes that improve the semantics, accessibility or visual polish and consistency of the product.
Who you are
- You are proficient with HTML and CSS.
- You are knowledgeable of the web platform including but not limited to: HTML semantics, accessibility, cross-browser compatibility, web performance and animation.
- You have a good understanding of UX and a practical knowledge of the principles required to design highly-reusable and flexible components: coupling, cohesion, inversion of control, etc.
- You possess good communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proficiency with modern web frameworks (React, Angular or Vue) and CSS-in-JS solutions.
- Knowledge of automated testing patterns for React applications.
- Experience working closely with Designers and contributing to a design system.
- Experience navigating large codebases to make small changes safely.
The UXE team
As a UX Engineer you will be part of the Design team working closely with product delivery teams to bridge the gap between visual design and technical development. You will be part of the design process at every stage, making sure designs are accessible, responsive, consistent with the design system and technically feasible. You will then support the delivery engineers in implementing the designs accurately using our internal React component library. Our working practices help us move fast but help us keep our pace sustainable and maintain a strong work-life balance. We are situated in the new state of the art DC Thomson offices at Meadowside in Dundee city centre.
Our tech stack
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. Millions of users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland with offices in Ireland and the United States. We work in small, collaborative, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Flexible working
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme and on-site Mental Health First Aiders
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen, coffee, soft drinks, breakfast materials and fresh fruit
- Regular social events such as summer parties, Christmas parties, Friday drinks and snacks
- Subscription to Findmypast website
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.