Findmypast is looking for a UX Engineer who wants to make a difference and join our growing team to solve problems and deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we can try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users and, above all, help to impact the way people research social and family history.
Due to current circumstances, we are working remotely, our interviews are being conducted via zoom and we are onboarding new joiners remotely. We also encourage remote working requests on the understanding that you will be required to travel to your local hub (London or Dundee) as necessary.
What you’ll do
- You’ll ensure the design system reflects the current understanding of the brand and that new designs adhere to established patterns.
- You’ll build the technical implementation (React components) of design system patterns to a high level of polish in usability, performance, accessibility and flexibility.
- You’ll work with feature delivery engineering teams to teach and evangelize the design system and collect feedback.
- You’ll suggest and implement changes that improve the semantics, accessibility or visual polish and consistency of the product.
Who you are
- You are proficient with HTML and CSS.
- You are knowledgeable of the web platform including but not limited to: HTML semantics, accessibility, cross-browser compatibility, web performance and animation.
- You have a good understanding of UX and a practical knowledge of the principles required to design highly-reusable and flexible components: coupling, cohesion, inversion of control, etc.
- You possess good communication skills to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proficiency with modern web frameworks (React, Angular or Vue) and CSS-in-JS solutions.
- Knowledge of automated testing patterns for React applications.
- Experience working closely with Designers and contributing to a design system.
- Experience navigating large codebases to make small changes safely.
As a UX Engineer you will be part of the Design team working closely with product delivery teams to bridge the gap between visual design and technical development. You will be part of the design process at every stage, making sure designs are accessible, responsive, consistent with the design system and technically feasible. You will then support the delivery engineers in implementing the designs accurately using our internal React component library. Our working practices help us move fast but help us keep our pace sustainable and maintain a strong work-life balance.
Our tech stack
Check out our tech blog here: https://tech.findmypast.com
Family history is a multi £BN high-growth market that is changing quickly and we’re looking for the best people to join us on this journey. We’ve come a long way from our early days digitising historical records to now: a fast-growing, consumer subscription tech company with a talented team, engaging products, millions of users around the globe, and billions of online historical records. Our mission is to connect people to their family stories.
There are real opportunities for ambitious people to gain new experiences, solve interesting problems, take responsibility for new products and initiatives, and advance their careers. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams. We value our diverse and welcoming culture. We stay connected and celebrate success together in our weekly tech demos and (currently virtual) social activities. Our values – Honour History, Stay Curious, Create Magic and Be Human – provide the compass for how we work together and invent together.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays + UK bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- L&D budget and access to learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!