Technical Operations Lead
Put simply, we help our customers get the right mix of cloud services they need to power their business. Our managed hybrid cloud services are unique in Scotland; combining private cloud and colocation from our data centres in Aberdeen and Dundee, with public cloud services from AWS. With 25 years of experience, we’re a first choice as trusted advisors to help Scotland’s public and private sector take full advantage of the potential and benefits of the cloud. This breadth of solution and level of experience sets us apart from other companies. We put our customers first, always. Our skilled and highly certified team pride ourselves on building strong relationships and getting cloud right for our customers – every time.
Do you want to inspire our customers by helping them successfully adopt the next generation of hybrid cloud services to drive business advantage? Do you have a strong track record working with technologies such as Hyper-V, VMWare, Windows Server, Linux and AWS plus understand how to build new hybrid cloud services with strong controls?
If the answer is YES, then we have an exciting opportunity to join our exciting team based in Aberdeen or Dundee.
What will you do at Brightsolid?
Brightsolid is looking for a Technical Operations Lead with great knowledge of private and public cloud platforms including Hyper-V, VMWare, Windows Server, Linux and AWS as well as hardware support skills & possesses excellent customer service skills.
This is a hands-on Technical Operations Lead role; the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate current practical experience with the above technologies.
Working closely with the Head of Service Delivery and other leaders –
- Bring strong technical leadership & line management to the Systems Engineering and Service Desk teams, leading and assisting in solving complex issues
- Ensure our customer requests, incidents and changes are responded to within agreed service levels and where possible fulfilled within our agreed resolution targets including escalation to wider teams or third-party partners for further support
- Working closely with our Customers, Engineers and Product Manager to maintain and prioritise any backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, to plan and estimate future sprints.
- Identifying new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across our engineering teams.
- Continually developing your skills across IT Service Management and our core technologies including AWS, Linux, Windows, VMWare, Hyper-V, Terraform, Salt, GitLab and Datadog including working towards more advanced technical accreditations (e.g. AWS DevOps Professional).
- Interpret internal/external business challenges and recommend best practice to improve products, processes, or services
- Act as an advisor to Senior Management for technical issues and throughout projects
- Ensure that delivered solutions meet customer requirements and quality standards
- Mentor\coach team members, increasing their skills through experience and knowledge
- Drive increased collaboration and knowledge sharing within own area and wider teams through blog posts, videos and training sessions
- Assist in the monthly collation of service reporting
- Work with the Head of Service Delivery to drive the Service Improvement Programme
- Participate in the Management Escalation on-call rota
What are we looking for?
- Strong and proven technical hands on leadership experience
- A logical and methodical approach to solving complex technical problems
- Ability to share knowledge and skills with people of varying technical abilities
- Proven capability of grasping evolving technologies quickly and keeping ahead of the curve
- Enthusiasm and passion for using hybrid cloud platforms and high levels of automation to help our customers build new innovative services using tools such as Terraform and Salt.
- Desire to consistently deliver a high-quality service to our customers including an ability to identify and champion service improvement opportunities.
- Ability to breakdown and solve increasingly complex technical problems across multiple technology domains.
- Strong systems administration background with experience of VMWare, Hyper-V, Linux and / or Windows Server including scripting and hardware (e.g. servers, storage, etc).
- Awareness of modern architectures and the toolchains required to effectively deploy and operate cloud solutions at scale (e.g. Terraform, Salt, GitLab).
- Ability to influence technical direction across one or more technology domains.
- Working knowledge of one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, Terraform) and source code management tools (e.g. GitLab, GitHub).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical and business stakeholders at all levels.
- Awareness of security and compliance good practices.
How to stand out?
You will be currently working in a team lead or lead technical role for a large enterprise, cloud native integrator or managed service provider. You can clearly demonstrate through real examples the hybrid cloud solutions you have deployed and managed at scale plus the business value they delivered.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from either brightsolid’s Aberdeen or Dundee office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org