Team Leader – Social Media
Are you someone with an innate understanding of social media and how it can drive engagement towards quality journalism?
The DC Thomson news titles are on an exciting journey to produce the best digital journalism in the country. The head of social media will ensure our own story, and the stories we tell, reach the most relevant audiences in the most engaging ways possible.
The successful candidate will oversee a team of social media managers whose job it is to populate the Press & Journal, The Courier, Evening Express and Evening Telegraph’s social feeds with posts that both draw readers to our websites but also engage users on the platforms.
The head of social media will analyse and understand what content works best and strategise to make sure our sites are optimising the audience arriving from social media.
Candidates must have a strong news sense and know the types of stories and posts that will generate engagement and traffic. They will also demonstrate the value of social media as a way of attracting new audiences to our sites and moving them to become paying subscribers. The role will also be to support our editorial team’s objectives and train our staff to help deliver them.
- Create and update social media strategies for our titles
- Ongoing analysis and reporting of social media use by titles and staff
- Excellent judgment and understanding of social media platforms’ relevance to our different titles and their objectives
- Train colleagues in the effective use of social media as individuals and as contributors to titles
- Monitoring profiles and maintaining an open conversation with our audiences to increase engagement and loyalty
- Responding to user messages/complaints in a visible and transparent manner
- Forward focus: you will know what’s coming next in the world of social media and ensure we are properly positioned to capitalise
Key requirements of the role are:
- Key understanding of how social media fits into a reader revenue-driven publishing model
- Experience of training others with various levels of social media understanding
- Experience of working in a newsroom a strong advantage but not essential
- Experience of planning and co-ordinating social media publishing schedules for busy multi-subject titles
- Understanding of our brands and how social media can reinforce the positives and challenge the negatives
- Analytics: ability to evaluate our current performance and then track/report continual improvement
- Thorough understanding of Scots Law for journalists and IPSO regulations
- Exemplary use of written English
- Relevant degree or other qualification preferred but not essential
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside or Aberdeen office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.