Software Engineering Manager
Findmypast is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager. We’re inventing new customer experiences, underpinned by React.js while building out a platform of microservices with Node.js. We’re a lean and agile environment, working in small cross-functional teams to solve challenging business problems. We employ modern discovery and experimentation practices, pair programming, continuous integration and deployment, a DevOps culture, and learning guilds. There is a real opportunity to make your mark and your work will impact the way people research social and family history.
- You’ll build a high-impact engineering organisation across our locations in Dundee and London.
- You’ll shape the structure of the engineering team to deliver effectively against the changing needs of the organisation.
- You’ll lead all aspects of people management for engineering employees including talent recruitment, managing a team of engineering leaders, coaching, and evolving towards a lean, outcome-oriented engineering culture.
- You’ll ensure products and systems are developed within an overall architectural blueprint which accommodates regular innovation and evolution.
- You’ll be part of our Technology Leadership Team and report to our CTO.
- You’ll prepare and manage the Engineering department’s budget.
Other areas you’ll contribute to:
- You’ll support our Agile Coaches in establishing and evolving working methodologies and processes, in order to identify and remove bottlenecks and optimise our teams’ delivery practices.
- You’ll support our Head of Technology in maintaining a technical roadmap that will continue to innovate from a technical standpoint.
- You’ll help coordinate with external stakeholders for new integrations and tools.
Essential skills and experience :
- You have significant experience leading multiple teams in an engineering department.
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind, comfortable communicating with all levels of the organisation.
- You care about your teams, their career progression and development and want to build well-balanced engineering teams with T-shaped Engineers.
- You’ll be responsible for recruitment and selection within your teams and will be passionate about setting your team up for success.
- You excel at facilitating, coaching, and mentoring teams and leaders towards rapidly delivering high impact, high quality software in a sustainable fashion.
- You have consumer experience and strong product intuition and passion. You enjoy engaging on product plans.
- You are able to educate on lean principles and flow for getting work done.
- You are enthusiastic, collaborative, an excellent communicator who thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment that embraces agile and experimentation-driven development.
- You have a strong network and are able to attract and excite great talent.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience with cloud technologies and modern human-computer interfaces.
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to work across multiple offices with various teams.
Our tech stack
Check out our tech blog here: https://tech.findmypast.com
At Findmypast, what we do has the power to change lives. Our mission? To help everyone discover and celebrate how they’re uniquely connected. We believe that life should be understood backwards but lived forwards. It’s an ethos that is brought to life through unmatched data and service, helping our members make rich family discoveries through billions of historical records.
We’re a group of passionate and talented individuals with four key values underpinning everything we do:
– Honour History
– Stay Curious
– Create Magic
– Be Human
We’re a British-owned company based in London, Dundee, Dublin and the USA. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams and enjoy celebrating success together in our weekly tech demos and regular social activities. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed.
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Flexible working
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme and on-site Mental Health First Aiders
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen, coffee, soft drinks, breakfast materials and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events such as summer parties, Christmas parties, Friday drinks and snacks
- Subscription to Findmypast website