Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineers at Findmypast ensure our customers’ family history discoveries never stop.
We act as a force multiplier for all Findmypast Engineers. We design, code, and operate tools and systems to reduce the amount of time and effort necessary for our Engineers to deliver one of the world’s best online genealogy platforms. We are strong believers in engineering teams taking operational responsibility for their products and work hard to support them in this. We work closely with engineering teams to advocate sensible, scalable, systems design and share responsibility with them in diagnosing, resolving, and preventing production issues.
What you’ll do
- As a member of a small multi-functional team, you’ll be responsible for all infrastructure at Findmypast.
- You’ll work with engineering teams to ensure services meet operational requirements.
- You’ll design and document systems, including writing and reviewing code, to automate solutions within your team’s domain.
- You’ll undertake measured, strict, troubleshooting of complicated systems and potentially resolve time-critical incidents.
- You’ll partake in an on-call rotation alongside the engineers who build our production backend.
- Work from our office in Shoreditch, London.
Who you are
- You have a broad knowledge of system administration tools and really excel in some areas, such as Puppet (or similar), Kubernetes or Docker.
- You have deep knowledge of Linux (we use Ubuntu) and all layers of the networking stack. You should be confident discussing in detail what’s going on under the hood.
- You are comfortable with large scale production systems and technologies, for example load balancing, monitoring, distributed systems, microservices, and configuration management.
- You have experience from designing and executing small to medium scale systems automation projects with strong autonomy.
- You are familiar with and enthusiastic about software engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- You have a passion for solving problems using open source software.
- You thrive in a rapidly evolving environment.
- You are a strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
At Findmypast, what we do has the power to change lives. Our mission? To help everyone discover and celebrate how they’re uniquely connected. We believe that life should be understood backwards but lived forwards. It’s an ethos that is brought to life through unmatched data and service, helping our members make rich family discoveries through billions of historical records.
We’re a group of passionate and talented individuals with four key values underpinning everything we do:
– Honour History
– Stay Curious
– Create Magic
– Be Human
We’re a British-owned company based in London, Dundee, Dublin and the USA. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams and enjoy celebrating success together in our weekly tech demos and regular social activities. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
Check out our tech blog here: https://tech.findmypast.com
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Flexible working
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme and on-site Mental Health First Aiders
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen, coffee, soft drinks, breakfast materials and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events such as summer parties, Christmas parties, Friday drinks and snacks
- Subscription to Findmypast website