Senior iOS Engineer
Findmypast is looking for a Senior iOS Engineer who wants to make a difference and join our growing Dundee team to solve problems and deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we can try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users and, above all, help to impact the way people research social and family history.
Family history is a multi £BN high-growth market that is changing quickly and we’re looking for the best people to join us on this journey. We’ve come a long way from our early days digitising historical records to now: a fast-growing, consumer subscription tech company with a talented team, engaging products, millions of users around the globe, and billions of online historical records. Our mission is to connect people to their family stories.There are real opportunities for ambitious people to gain new experiences, solve interesting problems, take responsibility for new products and initiatives, and advance their careers. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams. We value our diverse and welcoming culture. We stay connected and celebrate success together in our weekly tech demos and (currently virtual) social activities. Our values – Honour History, Stay Curious, Create Magic and Be Human – provide the compass for how we work together and invent together
Why is this a great opportunity?
You will be joining an incredibly supportive team of Engineers that values feedback, both positive and for career growth. As a valued member you’ll be working closely in a collaborative, autonomous, cross-functional team.
The app is pivoting to take on a central role in our users’ experience at Findmypast and with this comes the opportunity to be a part of this transformation, both technically and through delivering new immersive experiences. The new focus will aim to move the primary engagement experience out of the home and into the users’ daily lives, by connecting people to their family stories.
You will help with:
- Designing, developing and deploying authentically mobile applications with a focus on usability, low latency and scalability.
- Operational responsibility for the mobile applications that are owned by your team in a DevOps culture.
- Continuously improving our mobile application by innovating through the usage of A/B tests.
- Pushing the boundaries with technical and user solutions that drive customer engagement.
You will find yourself working in a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market and there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business and customers.
Due to current circumstances, we are working remotely, our interviews are being conducted via zoom and we are onboarding new joiners remotely. We also encourage remote working requests on the understanding that you will be required to travel to your local hub (London or Dundee) as necessary.
If you’re keen to read more about how our Engineering team works and hear about some recent remote onboarding experiences, check out our tech blog.
Our tech stack
Your role will be working on our iOS app. Our existing mobile application is mainly written in React Native with some native parts and comes with Firebase integration. We envision our future mobile app as a fully native application written in Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android. We are also planning to extensively use FireBase as our shared platform, analytics and tooling solution.
What we’re looking for:
- You have a proven track record in Mobile Engineering roles.
- You have a few years of experience coding with Swift and Objective-C and you are up for learning more!
- You love learning and embrace our self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship and Engineering guilds.
- You have deep knowledge of and care about sound engineering practices like pair programming, upfront automated testing, continuous deployment, and trunk based development.
- You are a strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
Our interview process:
- Call with a member of our People Team.
- Coding test with a few more Engineers.
- Interview with an Engineering Lead and a few Engineers from the team.
- Help us to impact the way people research social and family history!
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 30 days holidays + 4 bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Learning & Development budget, access to LinkedIn Learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we’re not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.