Senior Full Stack Web Developer
About DC Thomson
DC Thomson is a community of 1,600 colleagues with different strengths, experiences and perspectives, united by a shared goal of building brands that inform, entertain and delight audiences across the globe.
We are creating a culture that supports learning, collaboration, inclusion and empowering decisions. A business that supports its colleagues to try new things; creating, innovating and improving on our mission to grow and protect our business for future generations.
We have a network of offices across the UK, from our Dundee headquarters, Aberdeen, Glasgow and our flagship Fleet Street office, and support flexible working where possible to allow our colleagues to balance home and working lives.
People and communities are at the heart of everything we do. Our colleague communities, the communities we live and work in and the communities we build around our brands.
Our Product and Technology Function
As we continue at pace with the largest Digital Transformation in DC Thomson’s history, we have made the unique decision to centralise our Product and Technology teams. This is in turn creating a true engineering and product focused center of excellence that will continue to deliver value both internally and more importantly to our external customers. The team will be made up of Full-Stack Engineers, Front and Back-End Engineers, UI/UX talent, Product Owners, DevOps Engineers, Data focused skills and Agile thinkers. We are focusing on the quality of products delivered, rather than the quantity and take pride in sharing our expertise across the diverse range of DC Thomson brands.
Here some examples of the type of work our team have been involved in:
- Migrating sites from Expression Engine into WordPress
- Achieving exceptional site performance and SEO metrics
- Delivering a paywall capable of supporting exponential growth
Full Stack Engineer Role:
We are looking to add a talented Full-Stack Engineer into our Product & Technology team. Your responsibility will be working closely with a squad led by a Product Owner to build and develop a range of solutions within a cross-functional team. You’ll assist with the technical guidance in the infancy of the project and then working with the other engineers you’ll build and maintain the product.
One of the guiding principles at D.C Thomson is that we accept only excellence in everything we do and we’re always looking to improve with each iteration through both our own CPD and collaborative working. We’ll adapt and change direction quickly so that we can build world-class features without compromising on experience to the end users. So, this will give you the opportunity to innovate, try new ways of working from pair programming to mob programming and you will have the safety to fail fast and iterate.
Some of the areas you will be involved with will include:
- Shipping features to gather feedback from the user as quickly as possible
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to requirement gather and to scope projects
- Supporting the Senior Developer and Product Owners in technical decision making, solutionizingand estimations
- Providing mentorship to all levels and a willingness to be mentored
- Maintaining and improving collaboration whilst working remote
- Deploying secure, stable, testable and maintainable code.
You’re comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team solving a common goal. You’re passionate about web development and you keep up to date with industry best practices. You’re constantly looking for problems in applications and can address with proposed solutions
Benefits on Joining the Product and Tech Team:
- Working with a talented team of digital experts, industry experts who love to learn from each other
- The team is a central point to continue driving DC Thomson’s digital evolution
- Opportunity to work with brands such as; The Beano, Stylist, Aceville, The Courier and other leading brands
- Opportunity to shape your own learning and development path
- Holiday entitlement, Health Plan, Pension, Access to LinkedIn Learning, team social events, Remote Working
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week remotely. We offer a generous package including health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.