Senior DevOps Engineer
Findmypast is looking for a DevOps Engineer who wants to make a difference and join our growing Dundee team to solve problems and deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we can try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users and, above all, help to impact the way people research social and family history.
Due to current circumstances, we are working remotely, our interviews are being conducted via zoom and we are onboarding new joiners remotely. We also encourage remote working requests on the understanding that you will be required to travel to your local hub (London or Dundee) as necessary.
At Findmypast, what we do has the power to change lives. Our mission? To connect people to their family stories. We believe that life should be understood backwards but lived forwards. It’s an ethos that is brought to life through unmatched data and service, helping our members make rich family discoveries through billions of historical records.
We’re a group of passionate and talented individuals with four key values underpinning everything we do:
- Honour History
- Stay Curious
- Create Magic
- Be Human
Why is this a great opportunity?
You will be joining our engineering team and be a valued member working closely in a collaborative, autonomous, cross-functional team. You will help with:
- Managing (via automation) our deployment infrastructure at Findmypast.
- Work closely with engineering teams to reduce toil and increase speed of delivery.
- Designing and documenting tooling, including writing and reviewing code, to provide self service tools to the wider engineering team.
- Reviewing and improving our DevOps tools and security.
- Undertaking measured, strict troubleshooting of complicated systems and potentially resolve time-critical incidents.
- Partaking in an on-call rotation alongside the Engineers who build our production backend.
You will find yourself working in a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market and there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business and customers.
If you’re keen to read more about how our Engineering team works and hear about some recent remote onboarding experiences, check out our tech blog.
Our tech stack
What we’re looking for:
- A broad knowledge of DevOps practices and tools such as Puppet, Ansible (or similar), Prometheus, Grafana, ElasticSearch, Git, Jenkins, Nagios, etc.
- Strong knowledge of Docker.
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes management, ideally on premise.
- Deep knowledge of Linux (we use Ubuntu) and all layers of the networking stack. You should be confident discussing in detail what’s going on under the hood.
- Someone comfortable with large scale production systems and technologies, for example load balancing, monitoring, distributed systems, microservices, and configuration management.
- Experience from designing and executing small to medium scale systems automation projects with strong autonomy.
- Someone familiar with and enthusiastic about software engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Passion for solving problems using open source software.
- Someone who thrives in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
Our interview process:
- Call with a member of our People Team.
- Interview with an Engineering Lead.
- Main Interview with a test.
- Help us to impact the way people research social and family history!
What you will get in return:
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 30 days of annual leave + Scotland bank holidays
- Excellent pension contribution match
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Mental Health First Aiders
- Health and dental cash plan
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Season travel tickets
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we’re not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.