Senior Cloud Engineer
Do you want to inspire our customers by helping them successfully adopt the next generation of hybrid cloud services to drive business advantage? Do you have a strong track record working with technologies such as AWS and VMWare plus understand how to design and build new hybrid cloud services with strong controls?
If the answer is YES, then we have an exciting opportunity to join our exciting team based in Dundee or Edinburgh.
What will you do at Brightsolid?
Brightsolid is looking for a Senior Cloud Engineer with excellent knowledge of private and public cloud platform including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and proven experience engineering new cloud native services using automation underpinned by strong instrumentation that not only monitors performance, but also compliance. You will be:
- Leading the design and engineering of new complex cloud services that exploit public cloud infrastructure and platform services plus cloud native design patterns (loosely coupled, containers, serverless) that that meet our customer requirements.
- Engaging with our customers to identify, scope and deliver new professional services opportunities on time and within budget.
- Strong experience scoping and delivering cloud migration projects including hands on experience working with migration tools (e.g. CloudEndure) and good working knowledge of migration factory concepts.
- Implementing and enhancing our continuous delivery tool chains to drive high levels of automation and consistency across the cloud services we develop.
- Implementing instrumentation as part of the design of new cloud services that ensures we can continuously monitor and report on the compliance of cloud services against our key controls.
- Working closely with our Customers, Engineers and Product Manager to maintain and prioritise our backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, and support planning and estimation for future sprints.
- Engaging with our Customers plus our Cloud Architects and Security teams as well as key suppliers to ensure the hybrid cloud services we design and engineer are secure, scalable, performant, resilient, optimised and compliant.
- Identifying and implementing new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across engineering teams.
- Capturing and sharing cloud related knowledge and experience across the Cloud Services team and broader organisation through blog posts, videos and training sessions.
- Participating in our on-call rota to provide support to our customers outside of normal business hours.
What are we looking for?
We recognise that this role requires a unique blend of technical and commercial skills and experience. To be successful you will bring:
- Enthusiasm and passion for using hybrid cloud platforms and high levels of automation to help the business build new innovative services.
- Ability to breakdown and solve complex technical problems across multiple technology domains and successfully lead the design of new technology products and / or services.
- Strong systems administration background with experience of VMWare, Linux and / or Windows Server including scripting.
- Proven hands-on experience of AWS and hold one or more AWS professional certifications.
- Expert knowledge of modern architectures and the tool-chains required to effectively deploy and operate cloud solutions at scale (e.g. Terraform, Salt, GitLab)
- Ability to set technical direction across multiple technology domains working with other engineering teams and partners where required.
- Strong working knowledge of one or more programming languages (e.g. Python) and continuous integration / delivery approaches and tools (e.g. GitLab).
- Strong understanding and experience of agile working practices and automated testing methodologies, ideally including test driven development (TDD).
- Ability to anticipate resource demands and can effectively manage within agreed financial budgets to deliver engineered solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical and business stakeholders at all levels.
- Awareness of security and compliance good practices, ideally with experience of automated compliance control frameworks.
How to stand out?
You will be currently working as a senior cloud engineer for a large enterprise, cloud native integrator or managed service provider. You can clearly demonstrate through real examples the hybrid cloud solutions you have engineered and cloud migration projects you have delivered including the tool-chains used to effectively deploy and manage these hybrid cloud solutions at scale plus the business value they delivered.
Put simply, we help our customers get the right mix of cloud services they need to power their business. Our managed hybrid cloud services are unique in Scotland; combining private cloud and colocation from our data centres in Aberdeen and Dundee, with public cloud services from AWS. With 25 years of experience, we’re a first choice as trusted advisors to help Scotland’s public and private sector take full advantage of the potential and benefits of the cloud. This breadth of solution and level of experience sets us apart from other companies. We put our customers first, always. Our skilled and highly certified team pride ourselves on building strong relationships and getting cloud right for our customers – every time.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from brightsolid’s Dundee or Edinburgh office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.