One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. Millions of users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
Do you want to make a difference and join our growing team? We’re looking for passionate people who use the right technology for solving problems and like to deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users at all times. Above all, your work will impact the way people research social and family history.
What you’ll do
- You’ll install, manage and upgrade our Lucene based search infrastructure. This is currently built on Apache SOLR.
- You’ll work on a broad and varied range of projects, across a range of technologies and domains, often learning and problem-solving as you go.
- You’ll help create ingest pipelines allowing us to make our record sets searchable quickly and available to our customers.
- You’ll collaborate closely with other Engineers and other members of the company, as part of an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- You will take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team and fully embrace a DevOps culture.
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth through a detailed progression framework, a mentoring programme, daily learning hour and attending conferences.
Who you are
- You have commercial database administration experience using SOLR, Elasticsearch or similar.
- You are comfortable installing, upgrading, managing and performance tuning Lucene based search engines.
- You have experience implementing and managing large search clusters.
- Comfortable using Linux. We use Ubuntu heavily.
- Knowledge of Disaster Recovery principles.
- Ideally a decent knowledge of RDBMS like MySQL or Postgres.
- A good trouble-shooter who remains calm under pressure.
- You love learning and embrace our self-directed daily learning hour and opportunities to widen your skill-set.
- You love working as part of a team.
- You’ll want to share your knowledge to help the rest of the company to instil good Lucene query practices.
Our tech stack
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Flexible working
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme and on-site Mental Health First Aiders
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen, coffee, soft drinks, breakfast materials and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events such as summer parties, Christmas parties, Friday drinks and snacks
- Subscription to Findmypast website
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.