As a technology company, we are fortunate to be able to work remotely during these unprecedented times. Over 20% of employees have joined Findmypast since the start of the pandemic and we have made sure our people are well supported, found new ways to connect while working remotely and even held our annual offsite company meeting virtually for the first time.
Looking to the future in a post-pandemic world, we anticipate that our teams might spend 30% or more of their time collaborating in person at our offices in either our London or Dundee hubs and up to 70% remotely.
Underpinned by our technical and business values, we’re very open about how me make software. Those values are represented by the things we do:
- Collaborate daily with pair programming
- Care about quality; testing our own code
- Deploying to production multiple times a day; we typically record 1000+ monthly deployments with a commit lead time of ~40 min.
- Dedicate an hour of our working day to learning to help empower us to mitigate the challenges of our work
- We favour long lived teams who bring a long-term vision to software domains, owning the software they build.
Our tech stack
Don’t worry if you don’t know all our languages or technologies, although the more you know will help your application. We help all our new Engineers get up to speed quickly through a thoughtful and supportive induction programme.
What you’ll be doing:
You will be joining our engineering team and be a valued member working closely in a collaborative, autonomous, cross-functional team. You will help with:
- Technical leadership, confidently navigating through all phases of challenging and complex projects
- Mentoring and supporting others to ensure efficient, high-quality implementation at both a project level and on your own tasks
- Contributing to strategic technical direction of our Engineering department
- Designing, developing and deploying user experiences with a focus on usability, high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Building out and improving our new Node.js backend systems, to meet the needs of a modern and growing business.
- Operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team in a DevOps culture.
- Continuously improving our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
If you’re keen to read more about how our Engineering team works and hear about some recent remote onboarding experiences, check out our tech blog.
What we’re looking for:
- You have led on complex projects from inception to delivery.
- Experience mentoring others and consistently pushing for continuous improvement.
- Experience managing technical roadmaps with a long-term view of architecture within and across other engineering teams.
- You have deep knowledge of and champion sound engineering practices like pair programming, upfront automated testing, continuous deployment, and trunk-based development.
- You love learning and embrace our self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship, engineering communities of practice and professional development opportunities.
- You are a strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
Our interview process:
- Call with a member of our People Team.
- Interview with an Engineering Lead and a few Engineers from the team.
- Pair on an algorithm with a few Engineers.
- Final round interview.
We’ve come a long way from our early days digitising historical records to now: a fast-growing, consumer subscription tech company with a talented team, engaging products, millions of users around the globe, and billions of online historical records. Our mission is to connect people to their family stories.
There are real opportunities for ambitious people to gain new experiences, solve interesting problems, take responsibility for new products and initiatives, and advance their careers. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams. We value our diverse and welcoming culture. We stay connected and celebrate success together in our weekly tech demos and (currently virtual) social activities. Our values – Honour History, Stay Curious, Create Magic and Be Human – provide the compass for how we work together and invent together.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 30 days holidays + 4 bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- L&D budget and access to learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!