Magento 2 Developer
About DC Thomson
DC Thomson is a community of 1,600 colleagues with different strengths, experiences and perspectives, united by a shared goal of building brands that inform, entertain and delight audiences across the globe.
We are creating a culture that supports learning, collaboration, inclusion and empowering decisions. A business that supports its colleagues to try new things; creating, innovating and improving on our mission to grow and protect our business for future generations.
We have a network of offices across the UK, from our Dundee headquarters, Aberdeen, Glasgow and our flagship Fleet Street office, and support flexible working where possible to allow our colleagues to balance home and working lives.
People and communities are at the heart of everything we do. Our colleague communities, the communities we live and work in and the communities we build around our brands.
Our Product and Technology Function
As we continue at pace with the largest Digital Transformation in DC Thomson’s history, we have made the unique decision to centralise our Product and Technology teams. This is in turn creating a true engineering and product focused center of excellence that will continue to deliver value both internally and more importantly to our external customers. The team will be made up of Full-Stack Engineers, Front and Back-End Engineers, UI/UX talent, Product Owners, DevOps Engineers, Data focused skills and Agile thinkers. We are focusing on the quality of products delivered, rather than the quantity and take pride in sharing our expertise across the diverse range of DC Thomson brands.
Here some examples of the type of work our team have been involved in:
- Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 Commerce (Enterprise)
- Creating a bespoke shopping basket to increase sales
- Achieving exceptional site performance and SEO metrics
- Working with internal teams to help achieve a sophisticated reporting suite
- Integration with third party systems to aid the sales funnel
Magento 2 Developer:
We are looking to add a talented Magento 2 Developer into our Product & Technology team. Your responsibility will be working closely with a squad led by a Product Owner to build, develop and maintain our Magento 2 infrastructure. You’ll assist in the continuous development and future of the project.
One of the guiding principles at D.C Thomson is that we accept only excellence in everything we do and we’re always looking to improve with each iteration through both our own CPD and collaborative working. We’ll adapt and change direction quickly so that we can build world-class features without compromising on experience to the end users. So, this will give you the opportunity to innovate, try new ways of working from pair programming to mob programming and you will have the safety to fail fast and iterate.
Some of the areas you will be involved with will include:
- Development of bespoke Magento modules and functionality including frontend, backend, and integrations as well as customisation of 3rd party modules
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to requirement gather and to scope projects
- Supporting the Senior Developer and Product Owners in technical decision making, solutionizing and estimations
- Providing mentorship to all levels and a willingness to be mentored
- Maintaining and improving collaboration whilst working remote
- Writing future-proof, clean reusable code
Any previous skills with integrating Magento 2 with third parties and containerised development would be warmly welcomed into the team.
You’re comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team solving a common goal. You’re passionate about ecommerce development and you keep up to date with industry best practices. You’re constantly looking for problems in applications and can address with proposed solutions.
Benefits on Joining the Product and Tech Team:
- Working with a talented team of digital experts, industry experts who love to learn from each other
- The team is a central point to continue driving DC Thomson’s ecommerce evolution
- Opportunity to work with brands such as; The Beano, Stylist, Aceville, Puzzler
- Opportunity to shape your own learning and development path
- Holiday entitlement, Health Plan, Pension, Access to LinkedIn Learning, team social events, Remote Working
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week remotely. We offer a generous package including health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.