Live News Journalist
DC Thomson Media is creating Live News Teams to cover the north and north-east and Tayside and Fife areas. These teams will be the beating heart of our Dundee newsroom, working in a fast-paced environment to create digital-first content. These teams will tell our readers what they need to know and what they will undoubtedly want to know, working on breaking news across the region as well as trending stories relevant to our audience. This well-resourced team will be fundamental in maintaining our news brands’ reputations for producing quick, reliable and trusted news better than anyone else in our geographies. This desk will also underpin our efforts to reach people on mobile.
We’re looking for reporters who are up for the challenge of joining these new teams. We want people who will thrive in an environment of turning around stories quickly and seeing the immediate response from our digital audiences. They should have a track record of digitally optimising content making use of a range of multimedia tools and have the expertise to uncover the information our readers are desperate to find out when major stories break in our areas.
This is a role for experienced reporters looking for an exciting new challenge and those looking to make their first step into journalism.
Key responsibilities include:
- Creating digitally-optimised news content making use of a range of multimedia tools, with story choices being informed by data and insight
- Building contacts and relationships with organisations and individuals to ensure the latest information on major stories in our areas
- Understanding the audience they serve and looking for ways in which we can develop and extend our coverage
- Producing eye-catching headlines and social media posts to appeal to our audiences
- Maintaining best practices for publishing across platforms, implementing editorial guidelines and ensuring accuracy
The successful candidate must:
- Be a journalist with a track record of breaking stories online and generating ideas for exclusive and engaging content.
- Have a passion for working in a fast-paced environment for delivering content in this specific field
- Have a willingness to embrace new skills and tools in the digital arena such as SEO, social media, video, audio etc.
- Ability to work in a team, collaborating on ideas and sharing responsibility for meeting newsroom targets
- Have highly-developed communication skills
- Detailed knowledge of the Editors’ Code of Practice, GDPR and media law
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Dundee Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, gym discount, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com