Head of Engagement (Dundee)
The Courier is on an exciting journey to produce the best digital journalism in the country. This new role will be responsible for building relationships with our readers, making sure our journalism reaches new and engaged audiences.
You’ll work primarily on social media, newsletters and comments. This will mean setting an example for the rest of the newsroom, deciding on strategy and promoting audience engagement at all opportunities.
Drawing upon data insights, you’ll constantly be searching for new initiatives and ideas to improve and deepen our connection with our audience.
Key responsibilities of the role will be:
- Building online communities which support increasing our subscriber base
- Driving best practice around increasing reader loyalty and engagement
- Create and update social media strategies for our titles
- Ongoing analysis and reporting of social media use by titles and staff
- Excellent judgment and understanding of social media, search and newsletters relevance to our different titles and their objectives
- Train colleagues in the effective use of engagement tools as individuals and as contributors to titles
- Monitoring profiles and maintaining an open conversation with our audiences to increase engagement and loyalty
- Responding to user messages/complaints in a visible and transparent manner
- Supporting the newsroom by working weekend shifts as part of a rota
- Forward focus: you will know what’s coming next in the world of engagement and ensure we are properly positioned to capitalise
In order to carry this role out effectively, you will have:
- Key understanding of how engagement strategies fit into a reader revenue-driven publishing model
- Experience of training others with various levels of social media understanding
- Experience of working in a newsroom
- Understanding of our brands and how social media can reinforce the positives and challenge the negatives
- Analytics: ability to evaluate our current performance and then track/report continual improvement
- Thorough understanding of Scots Law for journalists and IPSO regulations
- Exemplary use of written English
- A relevant degree or other qualification which is preferred but not essential
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week from our Meadowside office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.