Group Head of Politics
DC Thomson Media is changing the way it delivers journalism for a world that is moving faster than ever.
We are creating a series of specialist teams focusing on delivering outstanding and innovative digital journalism for specific audiences with the core aim of driving digital subscriptions.
We are investing significantly more resources into our political coverage and have created a new dedicated team to produce content for both The Press and Journal and The Courier brands. Now we are looking for a brilliant senior journalist to lead that team, which operates across Holyrood, Westminster, Aberdeen and Dundee.
Politics has never mattered more and the decisions made today will reverberate for generations to come.
Too much traditional political reporting is tired and part of an outdated model. We want to do it differently.
Our mission is to:
- Use rich and compelling digital storytelling to give readers a deeper understanding of government policy and political developments
- Explain, analyse and provide context on how policy decisions will impact on the lives of our readers and their friends and family
- Improve the governance of Scotland by breaking news that holds leaders or institutions accountable for their decisions and actions
- Give readers vital information they need to make decisions about how they will vote in elections and referendums
- Stimulate debate and encourage new ways of thinking about how our society is ordered
- Be ambassadors and champions for the communities we serve at the heart of government
If you would relish the opportunity to help us achieve these aims, and have a vision for how we use the latest storytelling techniques to drive political coverage in the digital age, this job is for you.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a senior journalist, preferably with pre-existing leadership experience
- Have highly-developed digital storytelling skills and the ability to use modern online tools and data to accomplish that goal
- Have a vision of how to use cutting edge storytelling techniques
- Be collaborative and open to working with multiple different teams to achieve the end goal
- Be responsible for team members’ overall, and individual, development needs
- Be able to inspire and develop a large and experienced team which is spread across four locations
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week. The location is flexible. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.