Findmypast is looking for a Software Engineers who wants to make a difference and join our growing Dundee team to solve problems and deliver in a lean-agile environment. Together we can try to find new ways to create a great experience for all our users and, above all, help to impact the way people research social and family history.
Due to current circumstances, we are working remotely, our interviews are being conducted via zoom and we are onboarding new joiners remotely. We also encourage remote working requests on the understanding that you will be required to travel to your local hub (London or Dundee) as necessary.
At Findmypast, what we do has the power to change lives. Our mission? To connect people to their family stories. We believe that life should be understood backwards but lived forwards. It’s an ethos that is brought to life through unmatched data and service, helping our members make rich family discoveries through billions of historical records.
We’re a group of passionate and talented individuals with four key values underpinning everything we do:
- Honour History
- Stay Curious
- Create Magic
- Be Human
Why is this a great opportunity?
You will be joining our engineering team and be a valued member working closely in a collaborative, autonomous, cross-functional team. You will help with:
- Design, develop and deploy user experiences with a focus on usability, high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Building out and improving our new Node.JS backend systems, to meet the needs of a modern and growing business.
- Operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team in a DevOps culture.
- Continuously improving our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
You will find yourself working in a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market and there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business and customers.
If you’re keen to read more about how our Engineering team works and hear about some recent remote onboarding experiences, check out our tech blog.
Our tech stack
What we’re looking for:
- You have a proven track record in Software Engineering roles, with exposure to both front and back-end development.
- You have a few years of experience coding with React and Node.js, and you are up for learning more!
- You love learning and embrace our self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship and Engineering guilds
- You have deep knowledge of and care about sound engineering practices like pair programming, upfront automated testing, continuous deployment, and trunk based development.
- You are a strong communicator and love working as part of a team
Our interview process:
- Call with a member of our People Team.
- Coding test with a few more Engineers.
- Interview with an Engineering Lead and a few Engineers from the team
- Help us to impact the way people research social and family history!
What you will get in return:
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 30 days holidays + 4 bank holidays
- Excellent pension contribution match
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Mental Health First Aiders
- Health and dental cash plan
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Season travel tickets
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we’re not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.