Events Coordinator – 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
At DC Thomson we are a business with a purpose – to make a positive impact on the communities we serve.
We are home to some of the world’s best loved media brands, organised around local news and radio, companionship, kids, advocacy, energy, puzzles and hobbies.
The Courier, The Press & Journal, The Sunday Post, Beano, Stylist, Puzzler, The People’s Friend, My Weekly, bunkered, Energy Voice, Findmypast and Brightsolid are just some of the brands you might know us for.
Deeply rooted in our communities, we are investing in data, technology and talent to unlock a new level of understanding about what really matters to our customers. This is how we are shaping the future of media.
We’re changing the way we work to create a flexible, collaborative, learning-led culture that draws on expertise from across the organisation to create award-winning content and cultural moments that make audiences want to be part of our communities.
Our HQ is in Dundee and we have bases around the UK employing over 1,200 extraordinarily creative colleagues working in a mix of office/home/hybrid. They’re passionate about being part of the story of so many well-loved brands and they’re crucial to our ambitions for the company.
We’re looking for the best people to join us at DC Thomson, to share their energy, ideas and skills and be part of our story.
Why join us now?
DC Thomson is on an exciting transformation journey to growth. Our brands matter to people and we are passionate about sustaining meaningful relationships with the communities these brands serve.
Focused on creating brilliant content and experiences that inspire our audiences and communities.
As we continue to deliver the very best for our clients and customers, we have an exciting entry level position within our Events department.
This is a unique opportunity to begin your event management career supporting a team of experienced Event Management professionals with a depth of experience in the production and delivery of our high-quality events within the DC Thomson portfolio across the UK. This role will give you hands on experience coordinating a range of events from virtual events, live events, hybrid events, launch events, conferences, consumer exhibitions, award dinners and black-tie events. The role requires travel between our offices and some overnight stays which will be provided by the company.
- Support the event manager to source and negotiate supplier agreements for events
- To source and book event MC’s, speakers, entertainment, food, venues, AV, print, guest gifts, travel, accommodation, photographers, videographers, room dressing and any other appropriate supplier products/services
- Working closely with the sales team to ensure the sponsorship benefits are delivered to each event sponsor
- To manage sponsor relationships successfully
- Supporting the event manager to deliver each event within the cost budget
- Support with the event on the day
- Manage the delivery and production of smaller events including brand extension and virtual events
- To co-ordinate staff working at the event including a staffing schedule
- To produce and manage a media plan to support each event
- To liaise with internal departments to ensure an effective media plan is implemented to support the event
- Admin support for the sales managers
- To work as part of a team and help colleagues as and when required
- To update event websites and social platforms as and when required
- To provide accurate and up-to-date forecasting information to your line manager as and when required
- To provide progress reports on a weekly basis to your line manager
- To represent DC Thomson in a professional manner at all times and behave as an ambassador for the business
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Commercial knowledge, understanding of profit and loss, design, understanding of the events market, competitors etc
- An events qualification desirable but not essential
- Strong organisational skills, communication skills, numerical skills, writing skills, project management, presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Some experience in managing events, ability to create and manage P&Ls, ability to communicate at director level within organisations
- Experience working under pressure
- A full and clean UK driver’s licence is required
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, fixed term contract position for 12 months, working 35 hours per week. This is a hybrid role offering a blend of home and office working from one of our office location in Glasgow. The team work 3 days, usually Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in the office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.