Findmypast is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager. We’re inventing new customer experiences, underpinned by React.js while building out a platform of microservices with Node.js. We’re a lean and agile environment, working in small cross-functional teams to solve challenging business problems. We employ modern discovery and experimentation practices, pair programming, continuous integration and deployment, a DevOps culture, and learning guilds. There is a real opportunity to make your mark and your work will impact the way people research social and family history.
- You’ll build a high-impact engineering organisation across our locations in Dundee and London.
- You’ll shape the structure of the engineering team to deliver effectively against the changing needs of the organisation.
- You’ll lead all aspects of people management for engineering employees including talent recruitment, managing a team of engineering leaders, coaching, and evolving towards a lean, outcome-oriented engineering culture.
- You’ll ensure products and systems are developed within an overall architectural blueprint which accommodates regular innovation and evolution.
- You’ll be part of our Technology Leadership Team and report to our CTO.
- You’ll prepare and manage the Engineering department’s budget.
- You will work in our Shoreditch office in London, with frequent travel to our Dundee office.
Other areas you’ll contribute to:
- You’ll support our Agile Coaches in establishing and evolving working methodologies and processes, in order to identify and remove bottlenecks and optimise our teams’ delivery practices.
- You’ll support our Head of Technology in maintaining a technical roadmap that will continue to innovate from a technical standpoint.
- You’ll help coordinate with external stakeholders for new integrations and tools.
Who you are
Essential skills and experience
- You have significant experience leading multiple teams in an engineering department.
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind, comfortable communicating with all levels of the organisation.
- You care about your teams, their career progression and development and want to build well-balanced Engineering teams with T-shaped Engineers.
- You’ll be responsible for recruitment and selection within your teams and will be passionate about setting your team up for success.
- You excel at facilitating, coaching, and mentoring teams and leaders towards rapidly delivering high impact, high quality software in a sustainable fashion.
- You have consumer experience and strong product intuition and passion. You enjoy engaging on product plans.
- You are able to educate on lean principles and flow for getting work done.
- You are enthusiastic, collaborative, an excellent communicator who thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment that embraces agile and experimentation-driven development.
- You have a strong network and are able to attract and excite great talent.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience with cloud technologies and modern human-computer interfaces.
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to work across multiple offices with various teams.
Our tech stack
Check out our tech blog here: https://tech.findmypast.com
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 9 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. Millions of users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland with offices in Ireland and the United States. We work in small, collaborative, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Flexible working
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme and on-site Mental Health First Aiders
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen, coffee, soft drinks, breakfast materials and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events such as summer parties, Christmas parties, Friday drinks and snacks
- Subscription to Findmypast website
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Due to the high volume of applications anticipated for this role, we regret we are unable to contact you unless you are shortlisted for the selection process.
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we’re not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.