Digitisation Project Conservation Technician (FTC)
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people discover their ancestors. We work tirelessly to digitise and preserve the world’s national archives for future generations to enjoy. We’re a British-owned company with millions of registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes Reunited and The British Newspaper Archive (UK/US/IE/AU). Our goal is to make discovery seamless for our users by surfacing the most relevant and personalised experience – drawing from the inventory of our 9 billion records.
Overview of the role
Conservation is crucial in digitisation projects to ensure that all information on the document can be captured and that damage to documents during scanning is minimised through appropriate conservation practice. This role will be part of a dedicated team of Conservators and Conservation Technicians responsible for assessing and preparing records for digitisation.
The Conservation Technician plays a vital part in facilitating the smooth running of these projects to ensure timely delivery, while upholding the professional reputation of Findmypast. The role entails applying basic preservation and conservation practice to an historic archival collection following training from, and under the guidance of, qualified Conservators.
Please note that this is a Fixed Term Contract for 6 months and may involve some shift work during the week. The appointment of a successful candidate is subject to passing an enhanced background check.
You will have a strong interest in cultural heritage, exceptional manual dexterity and an excellent eye for detail. Following basic training, you must be able to make appropriate decisions and undertake necessary basic preservation and conservation treatments while meeting targets and deadlines. Such work may include but is not limited to surveying documents, removing staples, pins etc, flattening folds, curled edges and creases, undertaking simple repairs (e.g. to tears), carrying out mould-cleaning, disbinding volumes for scanning, applying and removing polyester sleeves on the more fragile documents, reassembling volumes and re-shelving them. An ability to work under pressure is vital. The role requires accurate data input to ensure recording of condition and project tracking, so attention to detail is crucial.
You will have a keen eye for detail and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team. You will have strong organisational skills with the ability to plan and prioritise work while under pressure in order to meet deadlines and targets. With the need for working across multiple teams, you will also have strong verbal communication skills.
Experience in a role related to heritage conservation or in a similar field is desirable.
Essential skills and experience
- Following instructions and guidelines to ensure consistent standard of work across team.
- Carrying out necessary and appropriate preservation and conservation measures on original documents following assessment.
- Working with original historic documents under pressure while maintaining a high level of manual dexterity.
- Managing own workload to meet targets and deadlines.
- Keeping organised and accurate records of your work, and maintaining project documentation as required.
- Working closely with other teams involved in the digitisation.
Desirable skills and experience
- Qualification or experience of working in heritage conservation or a related field.
- Experience of working with original historic documents.
- Experience of work on commercial projects.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Closing Date: Monday 30th November at 10am