We are growing our data engineering team which serves multiple functions within the business. On one side we need to be able to publish new historical records and newspapers with regular and increasing throughput. On another, the platform needs to serve the needs of our product engineering teams to realise new value for the business. The role is varied and you will be working alongside our Data Ingest Manager between databases, systems administration and software development. You will collaborate closely with other Engineers and become a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team. You will take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team, buy into a DevOps culture and work in an environment that supports your individual growth through a detailed progression framework, daily learning hour and attending conferences (even if virtually at the moment).
Due to current circumstances, we are working remotely, our interviews are being conducted via zoom and we are onboarding new joiners remotely. We also encourage remote working requests on the understanding that you will be required to travel to your local hub (London or Dundee) as necessary.
Things we believe in
- Working in collaborative cross–functional teams alongside members of the product team and Data team.
- Continuous improvement and learning – we have a self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship and coaching.
- Engineering practices like pair programming, TDD, continuous integration & deployment, small and regular commits to master.
- A lean-agile environment, DevOps culture and flat hierarchies.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience of SQL databases and handling large amounts of data.
- Comfortable working from the terminal in Linux/Unix.
- Good knowledge of multiple programming languages.
- A hands-on approach to getting stuff done.
- A curiosity to learn and widen your skillset.
- Strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
Desirable skills and experience
- Focus on quality, with testing experience and a willingness to pair collaboratively.
- Background in DevOps/Systems Administration.
- Experience with Docker, Git, Kubernetes.
- Experience with XML processing.
- A working knowledge of, or an interest in image data processing.
The appointment of a successful candidate is subject to passing an enhanced background check.
Family history is a multi £BN high-growth market that is changing quickly, with the introduction of new products and technologies. We’ve come a long way from our early days digitising historical records to now: a fast-growing, consumer subscription tech company with a talented team, engaging products, millions of users around the globe, and billions of online historical records. Our mission is to connect people to their family stories.
There are real opportunities for ambitious people to gain new experiences, solve interesting problems, take responsibility for new products and initiatives, and advance their careers. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams. We value our diverse and welcoming culture. We stay connected and celebrate success together in our weekly tech demos and (currently virtual) social activities. Our values – Honour History, Stay Curious, Create Magic and Be Human – provide the compass for how we work together and invent together.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays + UK bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee’s side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Learning & Development budget, access to LinkedIn Learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you’d like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you’d like to share your pronouns then please do!