Data Content Specialist
Data journalism is fundamental part of DC Thomson Media’s digital newsrooms, helping people understand more about the key issues that affect their day to day lives.
During lockdown understanding the story behind numbers and statistics, from the latest Covid cases to the vaccination roll out programme, has never been more important.
Therefore, we want to expand our experience and coverage in the data field by appointing a data content specialist to work closely with our data content lead.
The successful candidate will help embed data coverage in our day to day newsroom activities, create and maintain specific data charts and trackers, as well as work on set-piece data visualisation projects.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Look for opportunities to tell stories in new and different ways by visualising data.
- Analysing data in a way that contributes to telling compelling stories.
- To use statistical tools to identify significant data trends.
- Collaborating with reporters, graphic artists, and developers to bring those stories to publication.
- To visualise and find patterns in spatial data using GIS software.
- Serve as an in-house expert in the proper use of information graphics.
- Stay abreast of the latest tools and techniques in data visualization and storytelling.
- Curating, owning and growing the set of living/automated graphs around key subjects available for the whole newsroom to use.
To be successful you’ll need to be highly skilled with spreadsheets, with experience of data scraping and visualisation tools. You’ll have a strong grasp of how to clean, parse and query data, alongside use of programming languages and statistical software (e.g. R, python, SQL). You will have an excellent creative eye for visuals and detail, and be knowledgeable about the use of information graphics. You should have experience of GIS or other mapping software, as well as being skilled in the Adobe Creative Suite. Working in a newsroom, you’ll need to be able to work to tight deadlines and be an effective time manager.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 37.5 hours per week from our Meadowside or Aberdeen Office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, Onsite Staff Gym, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org