Crime & Courts Journalist
The Press and Journal is looking for an experienced, talented and creative journalist to join its crime and courts team.
Based in Inverness, the reporter will have responsibility for covering courts in the area, as well as creating innovative content for our website and newspaper.
The successful candidate will be a confident journalist who is able to write accurate court reports as well as having a passion for telling crime stories.
Candidates should have an interest in this area and experience in news reporting but creativity is key. Our ideal applicant will not only find stories and come up with ideas but take an innovative approach in how they are told.
- Provide coverage of Inverness court stories for our online, social media and print platforms
- Develop strong network of contacts within the Inverness police and legal community, as well as the wider local environment
- Provide unique, “must read” feature, data-driven analysis and trusted crime-based content
- Contribute ideas for and participate in the production of innovative audio and video content
- Package content attractively for online consumption and ensure search engine optimisation (SEO) standards are met
- Proactively use social media to build and maintain an engaged audience
- Work closely with colleagues across the business to maximise the impact of crime and courts content
- Experience of journalism or content production, ideally in a busy regional or national newsroom
- Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining accuracy
- 100wpm shorthand essential
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Scots Law with a particular emphasis court reporting legislation
- Strong knowledge of social media and ability to think outside the box
- Ability to think creatively about story presentation
- Knowledge of IPSO Editors’ Code of Practice
- Relevant degree or other qualification preferred but not essential
- Driving licence
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, wellbeing initiatives, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org