What Franchise – the print and digital bible for all things franchising, small business, and entrepreneurship – is growing its team, looking for a dynamic and talented Content Writer to join us in creating exceptional, energetic content that inspires our target reader to embark on a fresh journey and start their own business.
While strong writing and subbing abilities are a prerequisite for the role, we also expect the Content Writer to help us to accelerate our digital growth, create best-in-class content, produce multi-platform material, increase data capture and franchise enquiries, and raise user engagement to new levels across the board.
The role will be as varied and diverse as the franchise world itself, which covers a spectrum of sectors including fast food, healthcare, home services, fitness, and more. From writing exclusive news stories to sharpening features, compiling must-read downloadable reports to interviewing key decision makers helming franchise brands, the ideal candidate will be a versatile content producer with a proven track record of delivering editorial excellence across a range of media.
This is an exciting time to join this growing brand, with lots of ambitious projects on the horizon.
Working alongside our editorial, commercial, design and website development teams, this is an exciting opportunity to take an already successful business media brand to the next level.
As Content Writer you will:
- Write daily news stories and set the news agenda
- Develop regular new content that is built around SEO and keyword research, with our users in mind
- Work with commercial clients from brief to production to create unrivalled sponsored content that delivers results
- Monitor trends and themes impacting the UK franchise and small business space, and creatively deliver stories that our burgeoning business-owning readership wants to read
- Analyse data to cultivate impactful news stories and inspirational business start-up case studies
- Analyse the performance of our content and respond to areas of high and low traffic accordingly
- Manage the brand’s social media presence, producing captivating posts that drive engagement
- Produce superb and highly shareable newsletter content
- Organise value-packed and visually-stunning infographic content
- Support the production of our video output
- Work with brands to maintain their digital franchise profiles
- Source industry experts and fresh voices for eye-opening commentary pieces
- Improve the SEO of our existing content
- Represent the brand at industry events, some of which may entail international travel
Skills and attributes required
- A sharp eye for crafting news stories and an appetite to be the first to report on factors impacting the industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of SEO and how to apply this for maximum effect
- Interpersonal skills, self-motivation and flexibility
- Obsessive when it comes to content and how it can be impeccably presented to a discerning audience of entrepreneurs
- Creativity and digital editing skills and knowledge and experience of social media
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- An agile worker that thrives on a challenge
- Knowledge of InCopy an advantage
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Attention to detail and proofreading skills
- A keen follower of news, especially business and financial
This is not an exhaustive list, and you will be expected to be flexible in your approach to carrying out your duties, that may change from time to time to reflect changes in the company’s circumstances.
This is a full- time, permanent position, based in our Colchester office. We are open to considering remote working, but there would be a requirement for some monthly attendance at our Colchester offices. We pride ourselves on putting people first. This role is exposed to an incredible array of departments and upskilling opportunities, making progression easy for someone who is motivated to succeed. We’ll work with you to develop and progress your career based on what you enjoy. Plus, as part of DC Thomson Media, we offer a competitive package of benefits to support your personal and professional development. This includes a healthcare cash plan, pension scheme and mental health support.
When it is permitted and safe to do so, there will be a requirement for some overseas travel.
We offer a generous package including: healthcare cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, birthday day off after completion of your first year, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.