Aceville Publications’ craft department is looking for a bright, creative and conscientious Content Writer to work on PaperCrafter magazine. This is a permanent, full-time, office-based position (temporarily home-based). The successful applicant will have either proven experience in consumer journalism or be a Journalism, Media, English Language or Literature graduate keen to further their editorial career.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent writing skills for print, online and social media, be highly organised and relish working in a busy, fast-paced magazine environment. You should be numerate with a head for figures, a stickler for detail and not fazed by working on a multitude of tasks at one time.
No two days will be the same, and you’ll need to juggle between writing engaging news and features, subbing project text to house style, sourcing inspiring images, producing audience-friendly content for its website and social media accounts, and supporting the magazine through its final production stage with careful proofreading and subbing. The successful candidate will work within our dynamic, market-leading craft department and become part of a motivated, experienced and passionate team of creative individuals.
- Calling in products for photo shoots, assisting at photoshoots, subbing copy, sourcing pictures, sourcing extracts and proofreading pages
- Subbing and preparing for publication projects commissioned to freelance designers, ensuring that all copy is accurate, that all necessary material has been supplied and checked, that there is sufficient material to fill the space and that all relevant details are included
- Organising, researching and writing a number of regular pages within the magazine to tight deadlines, and seeing these pages through all stages of production alongside the Editor
- Organising, researching and writing features within the magazine in line with the above
- Assisting in the production of supplements and other promotional materials and offering support to the wider craft department as and when required
- Contributing content ideas which are on brand, well researched and may support advertising or other commercial activity, and suggesting improvements in order to assist with the creative development of the magazine on an ongoing basis
- Keeping up to date with published books and sourcing extracts from publishers for potential reproduction in the magazine
- Liaising with production staff, project designers and other in-house and out-of-house contributors as required in order to facilitate the smooth production of the magazine
- Carrying out a variety of online tasks including monitoring the title website and managing social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest etc. and regularly contributing relevant content to these sites. Implementing and overseeing social media campaigns and keeping up to date with social media trends as they develop
- A basic understanding of SEO and how to maximise engagement to online content is desirable
- Supporting The Crafts Channel on YouTube with both print and digital promotions
- Producing copy for the monthly online newsletter
- Ensuring the upkeep of systems such as filing systems and other organisational devices to facilitate the smooth production of the magazine on a monthly basis
- Performing routine administrative tasks such as responding to or forwarding on email requests for support, sending back projects, sending out complimentary copies of the magazine and dealing with correspondence
- Attending relevant consumer and trade shows with overnight stays as necessary
- Sourcing suitable giveaways for the magazine and maintaining a system for distributing the prizes to readers in a timely fashion
- Performing any other tasks delegated by the Editor or Deputy Editor to facilitate production of the magazine
- To support other titles either temporarily or permanently depending on the needs of the business and requirements of the role/title.
- To comply with the Company’s Health and Safety and Company Handbook policies, procedures and requirements cat all times.
Note: confirmation of re-location to the Colchester area is a prerequisite to this role
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Ability to seamlessly adapt between writing for print and digital media
- Confident use of social media and online platforms, and how to best utilise them to the benefit of the magazine
- Excellent communication skills with the flexibility to grow with our brands
- Ability to generate new and exciting ideas whilst keeping the magazine’s audience firmly in mind
- Strong organisational skills
- Willingness to attend relevant consumer and trade shows, overnight stays as necessary
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter outlining exactly why we should hire you.
This is a full- time, permanent position, based in our Colchester office. We offer a generous package including: healthcare cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, birthday day off after completion of your first year, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com