The Press and Journal is seeking an experienced, talented and creative journalist to join its business team.
Business is a cornerstone of the Press and Journal’s daily offering and it’s obvious why. Aberdeen is the best location in the UK to start a business, boasting the best five-year survival rate for new companies while the area is also ranked 5th for economic potential among small European cities.
Meanwhile, Inverness is a growing powerhouse that is evolving into one of the best places in the UK to live and work. Understanding and analysing the impact of the pandemic on the north of Scotland, charting the transition from oil and gas to renewables and speaking up for the growth in tourism, food and drink, tech and life sciences is all vital.
We want to get under the skin of the business community and tell the stories that matter to our readers in the best way.
Although business is an important part of the Press and Journal’s daily print product, the focus is on digital journalism.
Candidates should have an interest in business and experience in news reporting. But creativity is key. An ideal applicant will not only find stories and come up with ideas but take an innovative approach in how they are told.
- Be an experienced journalist who has an interest in business
- Creating digitally-optimised content making use of a range of multimedia tools, with story choices being informed by data and insight
- Building contacts and relationships with organisations and individuals
- Understand the needs of a modern business audience and deliver value-added content at the time and way readers demand
- Support the Head of Business to help deliver events
- Constantly innovate through new content ideas and formats
- Have some experience of digital publishing, especially around headline writing, SEO and social media
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent contract working from either our Aberdeen or Dundee office. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, health cash plan, wellbeing initiatives, staff discounts and the chance to join one of the UK’s more successful media groups with the opportunity for progression and ongoing training.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org