Business Development Manager – Subscriptions
Part of DC Thomson, one of the UK’s oldest and most successful media groups, Energy Voice is on a pathway to become the leading brand in global energy news and insight.
Already an established name in energy news, events and podcasting, we aim to be the go-to forum for senior professionals worldwide to stay ahead of market events and trends, build their networks and find business development opportunities.
Having seen significant expansion of our service and revenues in recent years, we are now looking to scale rapidly. We are an ambitious and entrepreneurial team, with a positive, collaborative and creative approach to business.
Over the past two years we have grown EV’s subscription revenues by 180%, with the subscriber book growing threefold in that period. Maintaining this trajectory is a fundamental pillar of our growth plan up to 2025.
This will be supported by significant ongoing investment in content and platforms, establishing us as an international, multi-channel publisher serving the full energy spectrum. Additionally, we are harnessing group resource to build a first class marketing engine, driving brand awareness, audience growth across our platforms and accelerated online subscription acquisition.
We are looking for a new member of our Business Development team, with a particular focus on building our subscriptions business in new markets. The aim is to establish subscriptions in new companies, targeting multiple-user deals and corporate licences, expand on existing subscriptions, and support the renewal rate. Additionally our BDMs feed back into the product development and marketing operations, to help us better serve our target audiences.
This is primarily an office-based (including home) sales role using telephone and digital communications tools, although some travel will be required (for major client opportunities, industry events and team meetings).
- Identifying sales targets and working from leads lists provided by marketing and sales management.
- Converting those targets into opportunities (including a significant amount of cold-calling and LinkedIn work) and opportunities into sales, via a free trial process.
- Managing the accounts brought in, ensuring renewal and growth of subscriptions within those accounts. Providing customer support to users within those accounts.
- Overseeing a book of online automatic renewals to support retention (also using this as an opportunity for account development).
- Working with the Content Services (advertising, content marketing, events) BD team to create opportunities for cross-selling.
- Connecting with teams working on product development and marketing to help drive the business forward.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Proven success selling B2B services to senior people in major international companies.
- A firm understanding of subscription sales process, technique and metrics.
- New sales skills from prospecting, through cold calling and opportunity development to close.
- Account management experience, in particular increasing product take-up and engagement within companies, ideally with a renewal element.
- A consultative and customer-centred approach: you must be approachable and reliable.
- Knowledge of the energy sector and senior-level contacts are desirable.
- Never afraid to share ideas but always happy to learn from others.
- Willing to take the initiative though not afraid to ask for help when you’re stuck.
- Ability to work hard while having fun, and adaptability to thrive in a period of fast growth and transformation.
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 35 hours per week. We offer a generous package including 34 days holiday, Health Cash Plan, Onsite Staff Gym, excellent Pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy early once we have received suitable applications. Therefore, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment.